It’s an all-new feature! Matt’s Gaming Roundup.
Let’s take a look at some of the week’s big stories, new releases and exciting announcements in the world of gaming!
Pokémon Chainmail and Truncheon
Massive news on the latest Nintendo Direct video for Pokémon Day, with a trailer for the next entries in the Pokemon series – Pokémon Sword, and Pokémon Shield!
A new generation of Pokémon to catch and train, a whole new area to explore called Galar (which many suspect is based on the UK) and plenty of gorgeous visuals to enjoy as the series continues on the Nintendo Switch!
The new starter Pokés were announced – Grookey, Sobble, and Scorbunny – and these continue both the series’ classic grass-water-fire triad and the utterly batshit naming conventions which fans have come to love.
Take a look at the announcement video for more details.
Blasting Out The Games
Last weekend saw the fantastic annual event, GameBlast, where over £100,000 was raised for the charity Special Effect.
The gaming event has gained in popularity and impact over the past few years, and raises huge amounts of money for the charity which helps people with disabilities play video games. A couple of notable events over the weekend were:
- Coaching for Geeks – who raised over £365 with their combination of live streams (and you can still donate!)
- Box – who raised over £1349 with a sleep deprivation challenge – playing for 24 hours straight in an epic gaming marathon
REmake the sales forecast
The Resident Evil 2 remake has sold incredibly well, which is understandable given how pants-fillingly scary they managed to make it.
Sales figures have been released which show the remake sold over 4 million copies in the first month. Quoted figures state that the original release sold 4.96 million copies, so at time of writing the remake is well on the way to overtake the original version in terms of copies sold!
This will certainly guarantee re-releases using the same engine, with all the gory zombie-severing and moody lighting. I’m keeping my fingers crossed for “Code: Veronica” and “Outbreak: File 2” remakes in the near future.
ToeJam and Earl: Back Like A Virgin
This week saw the release of a new ToeJam and Earl game, Back Into the Groove, which boasts Macaulay Culkin as an Executive Producer on its team!
With plenty of retro feeling, the game looks like great fun and has online/couch multiplayer. It’s on my wishlist and surely needs to be on the lists of anyone who enjoys a casual and silly 90s throwback title.
One of the best recommendations I’ve seen on Steam:
“Made it to nearly the last floor before my brother knocked an amped Major Bummer into me right as I got hit by a drone and had to use it, the entire area got nuked. 10/10 would play again”
And here’s the launch trailer:
Bye Bye Bank Balance
Plenty of great titles are coming out this week, here’s a quick summary:
|Black Desert Online||XO||Kakao Games||4/3/2019|
|MatchyGotchy Z||PC||Silverware Games||4/3/2019|
|Attack of the Earthlings||PS4/XO (soon)||Team Junkfish||5/3/2019|
|Crimson Keep||PS4 (online)||Merge Games||5/3/2019|
|Eternity: The Last Unicorn||PC/PS4/XO (soon)||1C||5/3/2019|
|LEFT ALIVE||PC/PS4||Square Enix||5/3/2019|
|Crimson Keep||XO (online)||Merge Games||6/3/2019|
|Braveland Trilogy||NS||Tortuga Team||7/3/2019|
|Brown Dust||An/iOS/PC||Neowiz Games||7/3/2019|
|Galaxy Trucker: Extended Ed||PC||Czech Games Edition||7/3/2019|
|Valley||NS||Blue Isle Studios||7/3/2019|
|Assault Android Cactus Plus||NS||Witch Beam||8/3/2019|
|Devil May Cry 5||PC/PS4/XO||Capcom||8/3/2019|
Sadly we’re out of time, so we don’t have time to properly cover all the other stuff in the gaming world this week, like:
- Fortnite’s new DLC pack “Momo”
- Bungie’s big new release Anthem gets over 50 concurrent players
- Apex Legends officially named “best thing since sliced dabbing”
- Spice Girls announce concert in Fortnite
- Could trying Youtube’s hottest gaming challenge “Momo” be harmful to my health?
- Anti-vaxxers added to PUBG and FIFA following an online petition
- “Activision-Blizzard layoffs could be great for my bank balance”, says CEO
Latest posts by Matt Tiernan (see all)
- News Hit 25 March – Buff My Switch Up - March 25, 2019
- NewsHit 18 March 2019 – Walkabout With Your Wand Out - March 18, 2019
- Matt’s News Hit – 11th March 2019 – Cheap Ass Plumbers Don’t Wear Ties - March 11, 2019