Hello fellow geeks and welcome to the first Creator of the Month, November 2018!
In this brand new section we pick out one of our very own to highlight the amazing creations they produce. We want to show the world just how cool, creative and outright geeky we are. To start us off on this journey is a very talented artist, Jennie Brown.
R: So Jen, how are you known online?
R: What do you create?
J: I make pop culture inspired artwork using multi-media techniques. My style is pop art and traditional dot work used in tattoo design.
R: it looks incredible, but why do you do it? What draws you to art?
J: The majority of creatives have some form of mental health issue. I have GAD (Generalised Anxiety Disorder) with a helping of depression on the side. Many things in life are triggers for me, like every day social situations. Even going to my day job takes an immense amount of will power so creating gives me control that I don’t have in every day, it’s very calming to just be completely focused a drawing. I do it because it’s a huge part of who I am, being creative is how my brain is wired, and it’s in my DNA which is pretty cool.
“I do it because it’s a huge part of who I am, being creative is how my brain is wired, and it’s in my DNA”
R: That’s really cool, and really inspiring. What kind of geek would you describe yourself as?
J: I am a pop culture, science enthusiast gamer type geek.
R: I’m sure there are plenty of us that can relate. What is the geekiest thing you ever created?
J: Hmmmmm probably the skate deck I designed with a Freezer Bunny theme from the Sims.
R: That sounds awesome; here’s the link to the Freezer Bunny theme skate deck on your Instagram so people can see that.
R:OK, so what is the geekiest thing you own?
J: Between me and my future geek husband, we own a lot of geeky stuff but the thing I think I love the most is a Lego model of the Big Bang Theory living room set with mini figures of all the cast characters.
R: Who doesn’t love Lego! Ok, so that’s all geeky and well but just who is your role model? Who inspires you?
J: I have many role models and inspirations, both dead and alive. There might be just too many to list them all. But a few are people like:-
- Vincent Van Gogh for his brave struggle with his mental health and how he channelled it into his artwork.
- Andy Warhol for his bold weird style that made him one of the most famous artists still to this day.
- And probably James Turner aka SimSupply, he’s a YouTuber that creates amazing Sims builds and series on his channel that’s both entertaining and inspiring.
R: I can definitely see Warhol’s inspiration in your work. Ok, a fun one, what are your top 3 favourite facts about you?
“I…will continue to fight for a better quality of life for women despite the massive obstacles.”
- My head is full of random mostly useless trivia and knowledge.
- I am a feminist and will continue to fight for a better quality of life for women despite the massive obstacles facing that challenge.
- Despite how much I wish I didn’t have my anxiety disorder, I think it’s the reason why I can get so passionate and focused on a subject like artwork or science or feminism.
R: Using your mental health to your own advantage is wonderful and very inspiring. You get one geeky wish, what is it?
J: To have the power of control like Kill-Grave in Jessica Jones. I would rule the world with that power.
R: Slightly scared now ha ha. What’s your favourite thing about Coaching for Geeks?
J: I think it’s a great platform for articles on subjects that can be hard to find anywhere else, that are written by fellow geeks.
R: That it is. Finally, how do we find you and your work online?
R: Perfect, Thank you!
You can catch a new post, showcasing Jen and her work, each week right here at Coaching for Geeks. Enjoy her great work, and don’t forget to like, share and maybe even invest in your own JForJen original.
PS: If you would like to be featured as Creator of the Month ask in the Coaching for Geeks Facebook group or complete this form – contact form[contact-form-7 id=”13828″ title=”Creator of the Month”]
Robert House – Coaching for Geeks health coach & leader of creator of the month
Follow Robert on Twitter @Roberthouse1985
Latest posts by Robert House (see all)
- Big Potato Games: The Big Review - September 9, 2019
- Frenemy Pastry Party Review and Interview with Mizo Games - August 16, 2019
- Escape the Dark Castle: Review & Interview - August 14, 2019